Renter’s Tax Credit for BC

You can claim this refundable income tax credit if you meet all of the following conditions:

  • You rented and occupied a rental unit for at least six months in a calendar year in British Columbia
  • You are 19 years of age or older, or married or in a common-law partnership, or a parent of a child
  • You were a resident of British Columbia at the end of December 31 of the year for which you are claiming the credit

If you have a spouse or common-law partner, only one credit can be claimed per couple even if both rent their own homes.

You are not eligible for this credit if any of the following conditions apply:

  • You were confined to a prison or a similar institution at the end of the year and you have been confined for more than six months in total for the year that you are claiming the credit
  • You were an employee of a foreign country or a family member or a servant of the employee of a foreign country

The following amounts are not considered as rent for the purposes of the credit:

  • A rent that was paid to someone related to you
  • A rent paid for a campsite, moorage or manufactured home site
  • A rent on accommodations your employer paid for, unless the amount was included in your income for the year
  • A rent paid under a rent-to-own plan

Do not claim this credit on a return for a person who died in the year for which the credit is claimed.

You can claim the credit of $400 a year if your adjusted family net income is below $60,000. If your income is more than $60,000 and less than $80,000 you may receive a reduced amount. The tax credit is reduced by 2% of the amount by which your adjusted family net income exceeds $60,000. The credit is reduced to zero if your income is $80,000 or more.

The adjusted family income threshold amount of $60,000 will be indexed each year for inflation.

Bankruptcies in 2023

The British Columbia renter’s tax credit cannot be claimed on your pre-bankruptcy or in-bankruptcy return.

You must be an eligible renter for at least six months in 2023.

How to claim this credit

Claim this credit on Form BC479 for the year that you rent your rental unit

Back to Blog